The Dos and Don’ts for Maintaining Healthy Fingernails
Look at your fingernails and see if they look healthy to you. Are there any visible ridges, dents or any unusual decoloring? You can avoid all of these just by taking good care of your nails.
If you are wondering whether or not you are taking good care of your nails than this article is for you. Here are some of the most important things you need to keep in mind to keep good care of your fingernails.
How a normal fingernail looks like?
Fingernails are made from laminated layer of keratin which is a protein. These grow from the base of the nail from the cuticle region. They are supposed to me smooth and without any ridges. Our fingernails should consist of uniformity in color and no discoloration.
Some of the times vertical ridges appear on the nails which are harmless. They can become more and more prominent with the passage of time. White lines and spots can appear on the fingernails as a result to some injury, but they usually go away as the nail grows.
But some conditions need medical attention. Seek your dermatologist if you notice the following:
- If there is a visible change of color or any dark discoloration under the nail
- If your nails get curled up at the ends
- If there is a sudden increase or decrease in your nail’s thickness
- Separated of pulled up nails from skin
- Noticeable bleeding around the nail region
- If there is any pain or swelling in the nails
- If the growth rate doesn’t seem normal
Dos of fingernail care
- Keep your nails clean and dry. This way you can protect your nails from bacteria. If your nails are in contact with water for a longer period of time, they can be separated from the skin. Always put on gloves before doing dishes, doing household chores or coming in contact with any harsh chemical.
- Always use a hand lotion and don’t forget to rub it in your cuticles and nails
- Trim your nails regular and use a sharp manicure scissors or clippers always
- Put on a protective layer of nail harder to strengthen your nails
- Try to incorporate biotin in your daily life
Don’ts of fingernail care
- Avoid biting your nails and cuticles as they can open cuts in your skin which can allow bacteria to enter
- You should never pull away hanging nails rather you should always clip them off
- Make sure you opt for an acetone free formula when choosing a nail polish remover